What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

jaydig

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 20:05 »
Still too wet to dig on my plot so:-

Emptied my bonfire pit (lots of loose bricks dug up from the plot and stacked up in a large square with lots of gaps for the air to get through). I got a barrow load of wood ash from the bottom of it.

Managed to burn a load of dried 'nasty' weeds etc.

Emptied the remaining compost from one of the bays and took this to the bean trench.

Repaired the compost bays (just a lot of old wooden pallets wired onto posts), and then turned the middle bay into the one I'd just emptied, layering it with said wood ash as I went  (Well, only did half of it - I ran out of steam before I'd finished, the rotting stuff was so heavy!)

Cut the last two cauliflowers, picked some kale and a bit of perpetual spinach to take home for the chooks.

Picked just three beautiful anemones that were just coming into bloom - my treat for working hard.

Went home and collapsed! 

Yana

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 19:38 »
Didn't get to the plot today, but managed to (re)plant raspberries in two new beds yesterday. Had so many left over, topped up fruit bed in fruit half plot at other end of the site. Offered the others out to anyone who wanted them.
Tomorrow begins the emptying/moving/refilling of the blue half barrels ready for strawberry plants.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2015, 18:51 »
Not been down for ages- popped in for a bit in my normal clothes, but ended up in my car-boot wellies digging over a bed- I found a mahoosive parsnip I'd missed (I did only get a total of 6 from 2 pkts of F1 seed!!!),

I moved my Autumn Broad beans- not ideal, they might be ok though.  The cat run through that bit of the plot meant there was no point in leaving them there- at least now they've got a slight chance.  Now i'll have to rethink The Plan...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 20:18 »
Disassembled a collapsed fence. My plot is like a wind tunnel, no point in trying to put it back up until the wind drops.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 20:19 by Annen »
Anne

Yana

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 06:59 »
OH was a star yesterday, helping empty/move/refill blue half barrels for strawberry plants.  Drilled extra drainage holes in the bottom of the barrels as the wet weather has left some of the soil really sticky.
Also set up new bed for carrots and measured for 'ericaceous' bed so I can have blueberry and cranberries.
Will put layer of rotted manure in the half barrels and top off with compost ready for strawb plants to go in.

Yana

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 15:08 »
This feels kinda spooky .........I can't be the only one doing stuff on a plot? Or maybe I have too much time on my hands ........
Anyways, today was first day at the lottie and after a quick check that the foxes hadn't made a toilet facility with the barrels (gladly not) went to open up the shed. In doing so I found where the 'new' toilet facility is. Right outside the door was a huge runny pile of not-very-nice smelly poop which I trod in good and proper. Took a while to get it off my boots and the smell lingered all morning. Disinfected the area and hope they don't return. Will be more careful and look first next time.
Covered the newly dug and manured strawb bed on fruit plot with black plastic. The manure had begun to break down and the ground was quite wet so thought best to cover it as more rain (or even snow) predicted. Got a load of pallets on 'freecycle' and these were perfect size for weighing down the plastic.
Dug more parsnips and tidied bed where courgettes/squash are going ready for manure collection tomorrow.
Came home and moved garden planters with bulbs into a sheltered spot as can see flower heads and strong winds will ruin them. Put up bubble-wrap insulation in greenhouse and all-in-all felt well chuffed with today's efforts.

blackberryjam

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 18:53 »
Dismantled what's left of my walk in greenhouse  :( saved some of the pipes and fittings They might  be useful later
Cleared my plot of debris.

Yana

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2015, 18:37 »
Collected manure today instead of yesterday (long story) and shared the truck load with fellow plot holder.
Put some on (now empty) leek bed for courgettes/squash later in the year and covered over with black plastic.
Put a few bags into the compost bin and the rest went into the blue half barrels to rot down and then will cover with compost and plant up with strawberry plants in the spring.
Dug half a dozen leeks from second leek bed for dinner tonight and went home to cover everything in the greenhouses with fleece. Hope the onions will be ok as sub-zero temps for the next few nights.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 21:19 »
Wandered up for a short session and had a satisfyingly large fire. Starting it off with damp straw was a bit of a rookie error, but it was blazing away very quickly and ate up lots of the blackthorn trimmings. Looking forward to putting the ash under the fruit bushes over the weekend.

Ema

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 11:14 »
Sat down with last years allotment sketch trying to plan whats going where this year :)

Yana

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 17:58 »
Scattered well rotted manure round summer fruiting raspberry canes and then a general tidy up before more rain turning to sleet and snow tonight/early tomorrow. Thought might cover manure in blue half barrels with compost now instead of waiting a bit, but ran out of time so leave for another day.
Can't believe the three half plots are all reasonably sorted.

snowdrops

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2015, 21:28 »
Took the kitchen compost to bin 1 with the paper shredding. Dug 4 parsnips up, the rest of the leeks from leek bed 1, then cleared the remaining overgrown radish & mooli & added to the compost bin.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

beesrus

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2015, 15:33 »
First proper two or three hours back for the new season, shod with wellies.
Dug over about 40 sq metres ( easy dig  :) ) to get rid of sprouting weeds/couch and disturb the pesky snoozing critters that might want to spoil my enjoyment later in the year.
Useful harvest, and took home kale, swede, parsnips, carrots, brussels still going just, parsley. I even unearthed some potatoes. A good few hours... very sunny with no wind whatsoever .. blissful.

PinkTeddy

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2015, 18:08 »
I only took over my plot a couple of weeks ago but I made steady progress pulling up all the overgrown carpet, just one small problem BINDWEED. 

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2015, 22:19 »
Nothing on the plot, too busy at home tiling the hall floor!
Bought a second hand greenhouse last night though, will collect it at the weekend 😄😄😄😄

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 39 queries.