Hens stopped laying

• 2 Replies

davescatt

Hens stopped laying
« on: October 01, 2013, 19:44 »
Hi, my friend and I bought 12 brown pol chickens each about 8 months ago, about 2 months ago mine are only laying 2/3 per week, but before that I was getting between 10/12 eggs per day, and he is still getting 10/12 eggs per day. we got our chicks from the same farm at the same time. they don't have any mites and they are fed laying pellets and corn every day and their pen is warm and always clean, we keep them on our allotment so why was mine stopped laying. Cheers. davescatt. :unsure:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 20:22 by joyfull »
Cheers,

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hens stopped laying
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 20:28 »
Have a good look around their run - they could be hiding them.
Also could a two legged predator be nicking them?
Another thing to thing to think of is that all hens are hatched with a finite amount of eggs and once they are gone then that is it - yours if they have stopped laying will continue to lay for longer  :)

Have you wormed them? If not can I suggest you buy some Flubenvet and now worm them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Hens stopped laying
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:00 »
I would do as joyfull says and worm them.  I would also cut out or reduce the amount of corn you are feeding them.  Just give them a small amount in the late afternoon.  They say a fat hen does not lay so if they are eating too much corn that could be the cause.  The layers pellets are made to have a full and balanced diet for them.  Dark green vegetables will give them something to occupy them if they do not have access to greens and it helps them to absorb calcium.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Hens stopped laying

Started by jmx on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 09:29
by jmx
xx
New Hens have stopped laying

Started by Surferchick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 17:51
by Surferchick
xx
Re: Hens stopped laying?

Started by sandyg on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 07:55
by joyfull
xx
Hens stopped laying

Started by Planner on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 12:36
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.