How Are your shallots

• 15 Replies

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
How Are your shallots
« on: July 22, 2013, 13:09 »
I have just lifted my Sante shallots for drying, and I'm realy pleased with them. Individual bulbs weighing up to five oz. .Is every one having the same results?
Bish

A Reyt Tayty

Re: How Are your shallots
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 13:44 »
No.  :(

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 13:45 »
Funny you should mention that - when I was lifting the shallots, I couldn't help notice that the Red Sun shallots are enormous, easily equivalent to a medium sized onion.  The downside is that there are only 2, 3 or 4 bulbs per plant.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 13:55 »
My Golden Gourmet and Mikor are pretty much the same as they always are - mostly good, a few manky looking plants, average of about 5 or 6 shallots per plant.

No bolting as yet, although there's still time - they're a few weeks late this year which isn't too surprising.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 17:38 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

dmg

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 14:12 »
I have lifted about 200 bulbs between golden gourmet and red sun- red sun gave me bigger bulbs but more bulbs with the golden gourmet. Only had a couple affected by white rot

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 16:09 »
I had a terrible crop. My potato onions (like shallots) and shallots are really small and stopped growing. Maybe I planted them too late and maybe not enough food for them in the soil when I prepared the bed.. I think the latter had something to do with it!!

Planting dates were 3 October for the potato onions and 1st Feb and 1st March for the shallots..

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Steveharford

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 16:23 »
Lifted one of my eschalots to check if ready. 25 bulbs of varying sizes but none as big ad the one set I planted. Still green tops so maybe they mature later.

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 18:04 »
Lots of them bolted as soon as the warm weather started,but the few that didn't are a sensible size and still growing.

I haven't grown shallots successfully before,is it normal for the top layer of 4 or 5 of a  growing `bunch` to lift away?They taste good in a sandwich  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 18:12 »
Plenty of bulbs on my Jermor but none of them very big.  :(
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 18:25 »
I haven't grown shallots successfully before,is it normal for the top layer of 4 or 5 of a  growing `bunch` to lift away?

I reckon yes - it doesn't seem to be a particularly smart thing to do, but then again I've never seen a shallot win Mastermind!  :lol:

richie3846

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 21:31 »
My red suns are grown, harvested, dried and netted up already! None of this overwintering nonsense, popped em in 2nd week April and they thrived in a couple of grow bags  :tongue2: I'd go as far as saying that this is by far my best crop this year, which I'm chuffed about as I've never heard of someone growing 'em in a growbag before.  8)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 21:36 »
Funny you should mention that - when I was lifting the shallots, I couldn't help notice that the Red Sun shallots are enormous, easily equivalent to a medium sized onion.  The downside is that there are only 2, 3 or 4 bulbs per plant.

That is what I am finding too. I bought Red Sun Sets from Wilkos and noticed the various sizes in each bag. had to buy 4 bags to get enough decent sized sets. (each bag had about a dozen very small onion size sets) Planted them all but it is the big sets that have produced the best shallots. I shall be more selective next year.

AnneB

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 21:41 »
Longor really good again.  Average 6 per clump.  Those with fewer bulbs were larger.  Second year I have grown this variety.  Trouble free both times, and I will grow gain.   They store really well, I still have some from last year in perfect condition.

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 23:26 »
Mine are all looking good. The Jermor are bigger than the Vigarmor but they're all good ones. Not had any duds so far, I'm pleased to say.  I've not lifted all mine yet though.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 09:50 »
My red sun have been variable. Some have made a decent size, but some are too small to do anything with munching wise. I shall save the small ones and replant them next year. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I shall not sow them in December as I did the last ones; I'll wait unti February/March.

clip
Shallots

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 23:14
by AnneB
xx
Shallots

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 24, 2010, 00:00
by cooperman
xx
Shallots

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 11, 2006, 15:15
by Aunt Sally
xx
shallots

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 22:27
by shoozie

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 41 queries.