hello Im new and have a question

• 13 Replies

suedavies0117

« on: August 01, 2008, 07:51 »
hi everyone, I live in Bristol
my OH is building me a chicken house with integral run for 5 ladies which will be finished next saturday. I am going away tomorrow until next thursday so wanted to post today to ask if anyone knows of any ex bats that would be available from next saturday. I am thinking of getting 3 to put with 2 light sussex POL which I am hopeing to buy at the same time so they should all settle in to their new home together.
any advice would be welcome. We kept a few chickens years ago and have now decided to get some more as we have more time to look after them.
TIA
sue d
sue d

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 08:36 »
Hello Sue, and welcome. :)

I don't have ex-bats but I know they are in high demand and there could well be waiting lists.
Fromm what I've read, it may be a good idea, if you get any, to keep them separate for a few days until you're sure they don't have any mites or other problems. And so that they won't get bullied, being a bit delicate for a while.
I'm sure some of the folks who have had them will give you better advice but I can't offer advice where to go for them.
All the best.

Rob  8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:21 »
Hi and welcome Sue

Have you checked out the battery hen welfare trust

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/rescue-dates.php

WoodyK

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 10:44 »
Hello Sue

Not sure this helps much but there were 2 rescues in the Bristol area last weekend, the BHWT on Saturday and the North London rescue on Sunday so it may be a while until the next one.

Like Aunt Sally said, check out the BHWT website for dates. There is also a lot of useful info on their about adopting/caring for ex batts.

I've only had my ex batts a week and already i'm obsessed! They are wonderful creatures and i waste so much time just watching them. It's great to see them wandering about and scratching and pecking at the grass.

Good luck

Woody

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:51 »
There was a feature on Breakfast this morning about giving hens as a house warming present.
Potentially dumb idea imho but it'll raise demand further for a while.

Rob  8)

Vember

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:02 »
Hello Sue

Welcome to the Hen House :)

mumsy

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 13:30 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
There was a feature on Breakfast this morning about giving hens as a house warming present.
Potentially dumb idea imho but it'll raise demand further for a while.

Rob  8)

Its no wonder the prices are going up!!!!
Its great to see so many people getting chickens, but like everything else, when there is high demand, they just wack another couple of quid on :cry:

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 21:43 »
Auntie - I will have to blame you I am afraid! I just emailed BHWT about their Warwickshire rescue in August!

GULP! What is OH going to say!

mumsy

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 21:58 »
I very nearly emailed the norfolk one, but managed to close the page just in time :shock:   Until I get an extension on the coop I MUST NOT get anymore chooks :cry:  :cry:

raeburg

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 22:11 »
Hello, I'm new too :) I'm picking some up tomorrow from the warwickshire group.  Spent all week clearing the allotment and building coop and run.  Today the guy in the next allotment came over and said would we like a silkie that needs a quieter home!  She's very good and has made herself at home.  Hope the ex-batts take to her.

mumsy

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 22:24 »
Quote from: "raeburg"
Hello, I'm new too :)  Today the guy in the next allotment came over and said would we like a silkie that needs a quieter home!  She's very good and has made herself at home.  Hope the ex-batts take to her.

Hi & Welcome Raeburg
People don't usually give hens away, if it is hen then you are lucky, it could be a cockerel, how well do you know the chap? I would be suspiscious about it wanting a quieter home, good luck with the ex-bats,  don't forget the piccies ........its the law around here :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 23:23 »
hm maybe she was being pecked, but i never heard of anyone giving away silkies before....... always room for more at my place tho lol if anyone has some going spare lol :wink:

Foxy

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 23:40 »
hi suedavies! welcome to the henhouse in particular the select bristol club!
I was helping to coordinate the bristol arm of the london rescue last weekend and ended up with around 100plus! All rehomed but I have had to keep a couple as they were too poorly to rehome. They are doing well at the moment but I am going to assess how they go over the next week or so if you are interested and can give them a loving home please pm me and I can let you know how they get on. will post piccies of them tommorrow :D

raeburg

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 13:04 »
she's definately a she, but was being bullied by his marans.  The ex-batts have arrived and are making themselves at home - so far 16 eggs in 3 days between the 8 of them!  I'm a bit worried that they are bullying the little silkie too - although she amy just be afraid of all other hens now.

sorry but photobucket wouldn't play and let me resize these properly :?

xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter
xx
Egg question

Started by Beetroot Queen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 21, 2014, 17:45
by hen addict
xx
question about poo

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 18:12
by chelseablue
xx
Egg question!

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 07:04
by Bonniebean

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.