ducks won't go on pond?

• 8 Replies

snowdonia lass

ducks won't go on pond?
« on: December 16, 2011, 13:21 »
I've kept ducks for three years now and they have always spent 90% of their day on the water. However, about a month ago now they stopped going on the pond and spend 90% of their time on the bank, often stareing at the water.  When they do venture onto the water they do it very carefully, all blocked together, swim very slowly for a short while and very quickly return to the bank.  We have a heron who visits from time to time who is after the fish, but he doesn't seem to alarm them. Any ideas what can be freightening them.

8doubles

Re: ducks won't go on pond?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 13:34 »
Mink would be my first guess if the pond is big enough to hide one. At least on dry land they can see the ****** coming !

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 13:55 »
is there any electric power up there such as to a pump that might be short circuiting and creating an electric "fence effect". Pardon the question but does the pond need a clean out -- not that ducks are very fussy. My campbells love the water in the pond but my ayleburys never seem to go on the pond now they are a good bit older but they wash splash in any clean water I put in their half barrel which is really for drinking.
R

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:28 »
I have Khaki Campbells that won't use a dirty pond. Even after a few days. They do create a lot of mud in it! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 18:46 »
Could something be at the bottom of the pond, like a big fish or some piece of metal that has been thrown in?
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

snowdonia lass

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:55 »
Thanks for your replies. All your suggestions are much appreciated.  We live half way up a mountain in North Wales. The pond is large and deep with a fast flowing mountain stream running through it, so it is constantly being replenished, and there is no electricity any where near by.  Some of the fish have grown quite large and I had wandered if they were "nipping at their toes", but now, after reading up, I'm thinking like "8doubles" that it could be a mink. I'm rather surprised, yet grateful, that, as yet, he hasn't had any of the ducks, or, indeed any of the fish either.  However, when it snows we will look for tracks and will try to trap him. I certainly don't want him around when ducklings appear.

There's always something to keep you on guard isn't there. In 3 years we've dealt with ,or are  dealing with, or are aware of, neighbours sheep, squirrels, foxes, mice and voles, rabbits,  weasels, red kites and other birds of prey, herons and now possibly mink aswell. I hear there are pole cats too near by.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 17:24 »
If it isn't a mink or an otter, could there have been a pike put in the pond at any time in the past?  If so and it is now mature that could be your problem.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

snowdonia lass

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 15:59 »
Well, we've discovered our culprit! Unfortunately, several fish and a duck were taken first, but in our trap this morning was a POLE CAT!. Thanks for your help

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 18:14 »
Think they are a protected species in the uk which would mean that you would probably just have to release it!   :(

xx
Do ducks need a pond

Started by sion01 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 22, 2010, 15:45
by CluckyChicken
xx
Duck pond ducks...

Started by Growster... on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 16, 2011, 07:51
by joyfull
xx
Runner Ducks-How to get them out of a pond!!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 08:18
by DD.
xx
pond liner & ducks?

Started by wildwitchy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 18:05
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 38 queries.