Defra

• 2 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Defra
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:48 »
I'm getting frustrated! Oh has read somewhere (he can't remember where ::)) that we could take 18 hatching eggs with us when we move to Bulgaria, no restrictions. So we have been looking at utility breeds and had decided on a couple which we would like, and keep pure.

To be on the safe side he also got in touch with Defra and has been told he needs a certificate of health and a license! So he has now said no, we will have to go with what we can get out there. (how do you get a certificate of health on an egg? The mind boggles. :blink: The rate officials go they would be past their use by" date anyway!!) Don't get me wrong, we are hoping to get a few of the local Shumens for the house, (they are not rare there) but OH is one of those people who needs an interest and as he works with animals, and has done most of his life, we thought this would be a good hobby for him. I know some producers will send eggs abroad, but can't find where I saw the ad ::), I'm as bad as him. :lol: But no idea how the postal service is. He has joined a Facebook group and put questions on there, but it is all Bulgarian, and to be honest hey seem to favour fancy breeds rather than utility, big ones like brahma and cochin, and silkies.

Bit of a pointless post, but I just wanted to get it off my chest...... :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Defra
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 08:37 »
I think the breeders have to get all their birds tested (feather tested) to see if they have got any illnesses such as salmonella. They have to do this at very frequent intervals and it is they who have to show the proof when posting abroad. The trouble is these tests wouldn't be cheap so neither would your eggs be  :(
Take a look on ebay when you are settled over there and go to some shows over there because there are good breeders of all varieties of birds there  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Defra
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:03 »
I am sure once you are settled out there you will find plenty of poultry breeds to tempt you.  It is very stressful moving house, let alone country so don't make things worse for yourselves.  Take time to find out where you can get your supplies for them and what the local predators are so that you don't end up feeding them with your birds.  A bit of patience and forward planning (stock up on flubenvet etc, is there local poultry vet?) can save a lot of heartache. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
DEFRA???

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 21:54
by joyfull
xx
DEFRA

Started by Jomtie on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2013, 12:52
by nerdle
xx
how many chickens can you have before i need a defra register then

Started by krystal on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 08:50
by krystal

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.