strange egg

• 11 Replies

parleychicks

strange egg
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:07 »
Hi folks
We have been keeping chicks for 7 years, recently we gave a home to 10 rescue chicks who have setteled in well, but now we a getting one egg a day that has a strong shell but it is very wrinkled as if the chick is having problems getting it out, all chicks are happy and do not seem distressed at all, has anybody any idea what is wrong if anything?

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
Re: strange egg
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:22 »
Sorry no idea. ???
 Have you got a photo of it, as i'm as curious as you. :unsure:
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

parleychicks

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:15 »
sorry I know less about computers than I do about chicks so I would not now how to post a pic, but the egg looks like a wrung out dish cloth, but still egg shape!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:22 »
Worn out hen I'd say.  That's why the farmer has "retired" them.

Lots about shell quality here: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

treecol

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 17:52 »
I keep getting a wrinkly egg too. Just tried to take a pic, but the wrinkles don't show up on pic. They are less noticeable the longer the egg has been laid. Two of my hens are perhaps 3 years old, I'll have to watch and see who lays it. My father in law had some ex-bats last year and one laid a completely wrinkled one, just once.

anitaws

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:04 »
Aunt Sally, I'm not sure I liked that link.   :(

I just had to look at the roundworm picture and really wish I hadn't.  I'd better not show it to Bob he might just stop eating eggs all together, hes already having a hard time about all the things they might eat round the garden.

I didn't spot the wrinkly egg picture thought.

If I religiously treat with Verm-X every month will it keep these horrible worms away or do I need a stronger wormer?

Anita

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:40 »
Calm down Anitaws,
Flubenvet Spring, Summer and Autumn should be enough to worm your poultry.
www.petmeds.co.uk is cheaper at the moment, I believe.
cathangirl

anitaws

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:38 »
Thanks for your fast response. 

Does that mean that Verm-x might not do it and I must use stronger medicated treatment to keep the Barnies free from worms?  If so I just wount start with Verm-x and buy some Flubenvet instead.

Anita

treecol

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 16:09 »
Anita, check out the link and look at miss shaped eggs. Mine is like the one on the right, but much more defined and I also have one with calcium spots on. I think it seems to be coz two of my girls are 3 years old ( I think)

anitaws

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 20:16 »
Cheers treecol, I'll be brave, avoide a certain picture and have a look what your eggs are like.  My hens are only 21 weeks old so it would be good to know what I may have to come.

Thanks for your encouragement
Anita

treecol

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 10:06 »
What did you think Anita? I get one with calcium spots on every two-three days and perhaps a wrinkly one about twice a week. The eggs taste fine though and look ok inside. If i can get one to show up on a pic, I'll post it.

anitaws

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 17:05 »
I can see why you where having trouble getting the ridges to show on a picture.  So this happens in older birds and I might have the same from mine.  Its good to know what is possible going to happen as they age.  As the ones you buy from the supermarket are from hens continually young in age and of a uniformed egg type you don't realise that there are possible deviations from what you consider as normal.

Having spent some time looking at the other items of external defects its a very good site to look at and I've saved it in my favourites. Thanks for the link after all Aunt Sally.

On the worming side if they where done end of March then should I do June and September not in December.

This has been an interesting subject treecol thanks for starting it and putting up with my butting in.
 :)
Anita

xx
strange hen

Started by dannyboy2010 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 19:28
by Chookiechook
xx
Strange air sac

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 15:14
by redspookycooky
xx
Strange

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2011, 13:45
by yellowpenguin
xx
strange egg

Started by GARRY on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 23:11
by GARRY

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 39 queries.