Plants with long flowering seasons?

• 9 Replies

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Plants with long flowering seasons?
« on: November 07, 2012, 15:03 »
My Lavatera "Barnsley" and Scabious have been flowering their little hearts out in the border right outside my study window since July, and have been an absolute delight.  They have proved themselves to be real value for money (the Lavatera even more so because it came from a cutting!)  The Lavatera is just about finished now but the Scabious is STILL going strong with lots of new buds!

Can anyone suggest any other plants - preferably perennials, but I'm open to ideas - that have long flowering seasons that I could add to this border for next year to provide even more of a distraction when I'm supposed to be working - like now  ::) ?
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Plants with long flowering seasons?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 15:29 »
I have Lavatera too in two colours and the darker is still going fairly strong, while the paler is all but done now. :D

Another I could suggest is Escallonia. I have more than one of these in my predominantly native plant hedgerow, and they have been flowering since August and are still going strong, in fact I think they're still improving! The bees love it and the glossy dark green leaves and red flowers are lovely, although I understand it will get big if you let it (not an issue as such in my hedge). :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 16:41 »
Alstroemeria - flowers continuously and beautifully for me from June through to the frosts.

Had mine about 3 years and it's slowly spread to a couple of feet wide and has had no special treatment summer or winter - although it only grows to about 18" high it does benefit from a bit of support.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 19:13 »
Canterbury bells have flowered their hearts out for months

Taller but still very long flowering is buddleia
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Spana

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 20:31 »
I love Penstemons. They have been in flower here since June and are still.  When each flower spike comes to an end you can just snap it off , you dont need scissors, and another lot of flower stems appear.
 Hydrangeas also look good for months. As the flower heads fade and dry they take on a different look which will last right through the winter. :happy:
I also have a climbing rose which i think might be American Pillar, i can pick a rose off it every month of the year :happy:.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 14:14 »
All duly noted, thank you!   :)  

The border is in its infancy, I have only planted it up this year, but I'm already really pleased with how it is turning out.  The look I am aiming for is Year-Round-Riot-Of-Colour, so I want plants that really earn their place, not ones that flower for a week or two and then sit there all dull for the rest of the year.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 16:12 by GYO Girl »

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 14:48 »
I'm planning a new flower border for next year GYO girl :) along the lines of your  "Year-Round-Riot-Of-Colour", except I call it Dixteresque after Christopher Lloyd's Great Dixter, with juxtaposed colours not always to everyone's taste. :D

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 16:08 »
Haha, just looked at the link, that's exactly the look I'm aiming for! The picture has reminded me - my border will also be featuring lots of Verbena bonariensis too. I bought a plant from a local fete last year and took loads of cuttings and ended up with 14 plants... which I have also now taken loads more cuttings from, and I now have over 20 little beauties rooted in the greenhouse already and there's still potential for many more by next spring. A garden can never have enough Verbena in my opinion - its another long flowerer and dead easy to propagate.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 16:30 »
That sounds like a good result. :)

A garden can never have enough Verbena in my opinion - its another long flowerer and dead easy to propagate.

I'll bear this in mind too.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 15:52 »
So depends on the seasons as to whether they will survive. I have a perennial diaschia, herbaceous geraniums that re-flower after being cut down in summer, also don't forget leaf colour can be just as stunning!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi
xx
Help needed with flowering plants for an allotment please?

Started by Stratts on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Weather and Seasons

Started by scentedstock on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 20:19
by gobs
xx
A Flowering VFT

Started by TheChilliMan on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 23:53
by DD.

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 39 queries.