What jobs are you doing this month?

• 32 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: What jobs are you doing this month?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 07:23 »
Managed to finally get the paving done behind the shed this weekend, so now theres a potting bench area, the space marked out for the polytunnel (now used for storage of pallets, scrap wood  and bricks) with paths around each and between the shed. Grand.

As usual it ended up being a voyage of discovery; I dug up a plastic freezer drawer and an iron bottomless bucket, both full of fetid mud and rubbish, a load of buried plastic sheeting and carpet, and about 20 AA batteries. I mean, what's wrong with people?!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 09:15 »
I dug up a plastic freezer drawer and an iron bottomless bucket, both full of fetid mud and rubbish, a load of buried plastic sheeting and carpet, and about 20 AA batteries. I mean, what's wrong with people?!

I reckon those responsible should be put on a charge.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 20:35 »
Feeding the soil in my no dig beds, then feeding it some more etc etc.
Seaweed, horse muck and compost

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 20:43 »
Currently rebuilding three bird-tables. Current ones are at least 15 years old and disintegrating. Tomorrow's job is a complete muck-out and tidy-up of the building I use for woodwork and metal-work jobs

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 18:32 »
As usual it ended up being a voyage of discovery; I dug up a plastic freezer drawer and an iron bottomless bucket, both full of fetid mud and rubbish, a load of buried plastic sheeting and carpet, and about 20 AA batteries. I mean, what's wrong with people?!

Bucket for containing mint or other spreading useful plants?

Jeebus

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 11:26 »
I've started to clear and dig over the plot but am only about 1/5th of the way there. I won't get it finished before the end of the month, but hope to get half way there. Also still have some potatoes to harvest. If I can be bothered after that then I will built a leafmould cage, but I expect that will be a job for next month.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 12:05 »

Bucket for containing mint or other spreading useful plants?

Could do actually, I never thought of that!

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 16:48 »
I feel for you DHM, having been there. It has taken me 2 years to clear my plot and there's probably more rubbish lurking.
Re jobs this month, the wind is changing at the weekend to blow away from the houses, so I feel a big bonfire coming on!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 07:46 »
I feel for you DHM, having been there. It has taken me 2 years to clear my plot and there's probably more rubbish lurking.

I know what you mean. The old lad before me had the plot since 1986 so when we took it on it was a kind of shrine to his vision and practice. Unfortunately that vision included burying batteries, tins of paint, rubber backed carpet and some things which frankly are unidentifiable. Add so that massive mounds of soil concealing wire mesh, old metal dustbins, broken tools, broken plastic chairs, hundreds of choc bar wrappers and drinks cans, an old BBQ etc etc... seems he just used it as a personal rubbish tip.

The worst thing though has been broken glass. Rumour has that a mini tornado ripped through the site 2 years ago and the greenhouse matey boy didnt tether down properly literally got lifted up into the air and dumped again, with sheets smashing all over ours and others plots. He carefully stacked the unbroken pieces and just left the rest!

snowdrops

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 11:42 »
You do have to wonder on the mentality of some people don’t you? They’ve actively transported that dodo to the allotment & buried it, surely more effort than putting it in the bin at home. Our allotments have a skip once a year & the stuff that surfaces to be put in it is amazing, although I’m never sure if some of it isn’t transported there just prior to skip day!!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 13:52 »
The plot holder on my number 2 before me cleared out many van loads of debris - most as described above.

This morning I thought I'll just skim that patch of weeds and shake them into bucket for compost heap but the spade made a strange noise and I thought "that's not weeds". Spent an hour digging out glass and bagging up. I suspect that more will appear when the soil has dried. It's only a 4 x 2 foot patch which is no digging at all. No shouldn't be. Have also been brick mining in narrow length next to the fence behind what was once a greenhouse area. It looks like I shall be doing a tour of discovery all winter here and there in the remaining corners of this plot. Plan to put clover seed down in the glass mine and top up with decent soil for a length of herb fennel in the brick mine as I have discovered I have two packets for some reason.

I didn't realise just what a good state number 1 allotment was in when I took it over till I took on another for clearance for the allotment committee (next tenant let it revert and it's as bad as ever now though it was taken over with all sorts of donated goodies on it).

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2018, 14:53 »
My friend got his first plot last month. This was the 'inheritance' we cleared. It filled a council tipper wagon...

Then we started on the couch grass...
Capture.GIF
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 15:00 by juvenal »

Christine

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2018, 18:02 »
Will it be as much fun when it comes to growing is the question? The tenant before me on plot 2 gave up when he discovered the joys of regular weeding, digging, hedge cutting and the vagaries of what grows well each year. 

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2018, 23:06 »
Will it be as much fun when it comes to growing is the question? The tenant before me on plot 2 gave up when he discovered the joys of regular weeding, digging, hedge cutting and the vagaries of what grows well each year.

I expect he or she will find those things  more fun than clearing up after the idiot who left all that rubbish behind... for me and my wife we've enjoyed the clearing process as it's made the plot 'ours' but for me the fun has been making quite elaborate planting and costing plans and researching cultivars, sourcing free stuff... now that stage is done I'm almost at a loose end, just waiting for the mundanity (if that's a word) of normal allotment work the spring will inevitably deliver... I reckon I'll end up getting a 2nd plot tbh just to have something to plan. (",)

AnneB

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2018, 17:52 »
We had a little working party of 4 laying weed suppressant fibre between the trees on our shared orchard this morning, prior to covering with gravel.  Left a suitable gap to mulch the trees in future.
Then on my own plots, clearing away the remains of this year's planting.  Spreading manure on top of the cleared beds.   I am about half way through this task now.  I also planted next year's garlic today and harvested some more carrots.
This coming week, I hope to finish clearing and adding manure, clear out and tidy the polytunnel and sow field beans.  That will be most of what I need to do until next spring.  MrB has some construction jobs to repair a few raised beds and put a couple of new ones in on the second plot.
We didn't inspect the association's bees today, MrB and our other beekeepers normally do that on a Sunday, but deemed too cold today.

xx
WHAT TO SOW & JOBS TO DO MONTH BY MONTH

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 30, 2013, 10:27
by mumofstig
xx
mumofstigs month by month

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 19:40
by arh
xx
one month apart

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 09:45
by Sadgit
xx
Jobs for the day

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 19:02
by brucesgirl

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 55 queries.