Hens in Herts/Beds/Essex?

• 12 Replies

Lemon

« on: July 31, 2008, 22:42 »
Hi,

Have enjoyed reading the threads on here about people's chickens - am eagerly waiting for some of our own (hubby still building the sturdiest little hen house known!). :roll:

So, whilst he's out sawing etc... I'm googling and reading forums.  We live in North East Herts (Stevenage) and would like to know the best place for hens.  Ok, we will travel up to 50miles away.

We're first-timers to chicken keeping but already I have a list in my head of what I'd like!  (all hens mind!  think it'd be a cock-a-doodle-DON'T!!! with the neighbours!)
     * buff pekin
     * buff bantam orpington
     * wheaten maran
     * lemon cuckoo pekin
     * bovans goldline
   & maybe a  * buff sussex too!
Only looking to get two hens to start.  We've registered to re-home 3 ex-batts and am waiting for the call!

Does anyone recommend a place to get hens?  (in this general direction?)  What are the price ranges too?  Whilst googling it appears that they can be around £15 for a hybrid and I've seen some extortunate prices for P.O.L too!

Also, what is the price I should be paying for a 3kg feeder & drinker?  Is it better to get the ones that have a hook?

Is £6.55 a good price for BOCM Farmgate layers mash 20kg?  Is that brand better than A&P smallholder natural free-range layers meal 20kg at £7.75?

Sorry for all the questions......just can't wait to get some chooks!   :geek:
Mama Hen to Bokky (Lt Sussex X) & Korma (R.I.R X) & wife to Chookie Papa

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 00:16 »
Hi Lemon,  I haven't welcomed you to the forums so welcome  :D

In my search for particular breeds I've found that there are very few in the north east, and most if not all of the proper breed clubs are located in the south, so if you are prepared to travel a little further you should find plenty.

have a look in Practical Poultry Mag, they have a huuuuuuuuge listing section at the back and you are bound to find someone local to you who can supply you with the birds you are after  :D

re prices for stuff, I'd say it's easy to go overboard but my allotment has been broken into 4 times in the last 8 months and they keep pinching my feeders and drinkers  :evil:  so it's not worth (in my opinion) spending a fortune on these unless you know you are in a safe location.

Hope this helps
Su

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:36 »
i know nothing about hens but there's a house in little hallingbury, just the other side of bishops stortford, that always has a blackboard outside saying "Point of Lay Hens" (i think thats right) not sure if thats a breed or what but it fits your location specs.

they have ducks and geese eggs for sale too which is why i've stopped before

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:33 »
I suppose 90 miles is too far?  We have 300 White Amberlinks (not on your list, but should be!!) coming up to Point of Lay mid October, they are 6 weeks old at the moment.

£6.55 for Farmgate is not bad as things go at the moment, its what we use, but we prefer the pellets as they make less mess with them usually.  A&P good stuff, but overpriced, BOCM Farmgate is just as good!

If you are ending up with 5 chooks, I'd suggest a 5kg feeder at least, and we have 9 litre drinkers which we buy from www.Solwayfeeders.com They do charge P&P, but their service is usually very quick and just phone them if you have a question and they will answer it.  You don't want them running out of water too quickly if you're not around all the time

We've got a few feeders and drinkers here as people always ask, but the ones with handles are best, especially drinkers.  then you can stand them on some bricks or hang them up, whatever your chooks prefer.

give them lots of greens, especially dandelions, chickweed and cabbage leaves!

Dannii

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:56 »
Hi Lemon,

I live in a village between Royston and Baldock. We got our hens from Thornes rare breed poultry centre in Stotfold/Letchworth they are absolutely FANTASTIC there if you go at the weeknd the best person to talk to is a sweet old man called Frank he knows everything to know about chooks. Also once you have bought your chooks you can always ring them with any possible question and if in doubt about anything you can take your chooks to them so they can have a look and 'diagnose' which they are very happy to do as vets aren't that chook savvy sometimes! Frank also does various talks including beginners talks etc. It is a very small friendly family run place but does get a little busy at weekends but mostly people just looking at the chickens and buyin fresh eggs / plants as they have a little garden centre there too.

They stock POL Hybrids (best for lots of eggs) and all sorts of rare breeds too, they are all innoculated and they will clip their wings for you too.

When I was researching into where to buy from I found lots of forums about people who travelled over 200 miles to get there so they must have a good reputation?!

Anyway, just re-read my message and sounds like a work for them or something!!! So I will stop there! Hope that helps!

Dannii

mumsy

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:26 »
Hi Lemon & welcome
There is a lovely lady called Jo at Barling Poultry who does starter packs too here is the link scroll down to Barling Poultry
http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/poultry-suppliers/live-poultry-egg-supplier-england.php
They are near Southend
Hope this helps

Lemon

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 20:24 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
I suppose 90 miles is too far?  We have 300 White Amberlinks (not on your list, but should be!!) coming up to Point of Lay mid October, they are 6 weeks old at the moment.

If you are ending up with 5 chooks, I'd suggest a 5kg feeder at least, and we have 9 litre drinkers which we buy from www.Solwayfeeders.com They do charge P&P, but their service is usually very quick and just phone them if you have a question and they will answer it.  You don't want them running out of water too quickly if you're not around all the time.

GrannieAnnie,
Thanks for the link to solway - they are brilliantly priced for drinker & feeders!  :D  Plus, hubby is interested in the plastic chicken flooring for the hen house floor!

Excuse my ignorance, but what are amberlinks like?  have seen your pics of the chicks - they are cute!  They are hybrid egg layers? And I think you may be far?  (Where are you from Stevenage?)  How much would the amberlinks be?  I just may be tempted! :lol:

Lemon

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 20:35 »
Quote from: "Dannii"
We got our hens from Thornes rare breed poultry centre in Stotfold/Letchworth they are absolutely FANTASTIC!
They stock POL Hybrids (best for lots of eggs) and all sorts of rare breeds too, they are all innoculated and they will clip their wings for you too.
Dannii

Hi Dannii!
Glad to hear you so excited about Thornes!  :tongue2:  They must be good then!  May I ask you what you bought?  Do you remember what the prices were like too?

And do they sell chicks? (or are chicks hard to rear from young?  Oh, what if they turn out to be boys?  What age do boys start to cock-a-doodle-dooing?)   :scratch:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 20:47 »
Hi Lemon, the Amberlinks are the white ones like this!

They are £6.00 each and have been vaccinated against Mareks, but not the others as you can only buy the other vaccines in dosse of 1,000 and I ony have between 1100 and 300 at a time, and you can't save he vaccine once opened.  but with good husbandry, they probably won't get anything anyway.  I've never had any trouble with any of mine.

No I'm not from Stevenage!! lol  I'm a Kentish Maid by birth, but lived in Essex near Clacton for 6 years then we moved here 6 years ago!

And yes they are hybrid layers, but so are the Bovans Goldline on your wish list.  The brown chickens in the first photo are our Goldlines, but they are part of my laying flock.

Chicks are not hard to rear.  They need heat for the first 4 weeks, but our new amberlinks are 6 weeks old now and running around like little missiles!!!! :lol:  :lol:

dawnsmith

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 20:48 »
Hi Lemon

I'm a big fan of Thornes too. (I'm in WGC)

I bought 3 hybrids from Thornes for £12.50 each.

I've found G W Titmus in Wheathamstead realy good for all the bedding, food, feeders etc. Cheaper than thornes.

We met an interesting woman there once - a customer - who gave us loads of tips based on her experience of chook keeping. As it is also a garden centre, you can go along anytime and have a mosey around. They're realy friendly, and very helpful.
Dawn
x

Dannii

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 21:19 »
Hi Lemon,

I went for 4x Hybrids in the end as they are cheaper (£12.50each) and lay larger and more eggs than pure breeds, I also thought this was the more sensible option as I was a beginner I wanted to test my enclosure was safe from predators etc then as my house can fit 8 birds in I plan to buy pure breed eggs from thornes to hatch when I am more confident!

Thornes also sell chicks, I went in the week and they have loads at the mo absolutely adorable! However you will not know if they are boys or girls when you buy them

I have 1x bovan black, 1 x silver nick white, 2 x goldline brown, I wanted a gorgeous grey hybrid that they do there too but they advised me not as they aren't as friendly and I have a small child and one on the way!

Hope that helps!

PS: Hi Dawn! Hope you are ok, sorry haven't posted pics etc yet of the chooks I have been suffering with morning sickness and EXTREME tiredness for the past 3 months but back on form now so shall hop to it!!! x

Dannii

Lemon

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 23:08 »
Quote from: "dawnsmith"
Hi Lemon

I'm a big fan of Thornes too. (I'm in WGC)

I bought 3 hybrids from Thornes for £12.50 each.

I've found G W Titmus in Wheathamstead realy good for all the bedding, food, feeders etc. Cheaper than thornes.

We met an interesting woman there once - a customer - who gave us loads of tips based on her experience of chook keeping. As it is also a garden centre, you can go along anytime and have a mosey around. They're realy friendly, and very helpful.

Hi DawnSmith,

Thanks for your help!  I stumbled upon GW Titmus on-line when I was searching for stockists of Hemcore.  

I have drawn up my list of stuffs that I intend to get from G.W.T.  I'm so pleased that they're local (we drive through Stanborough, nr Lemsford on way home from work.) and that they have cheap bedding, feed, corn & grit!  8)

Have found GrannieAnnie's recommendation of SolwayFeeders to be the cheapest for drinker/feeders.  They charge postage but the max is £9.99 and as I said, hubby wants to put a piece of plastic slatting on base of chook house above the droppings drawer.  The mat is £9.99 same as postage and is the right size for our house 3'x2'. As I said, I'll be buying my drinker and feeder there are won't pay anymore on postage!   :)

Lemon

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 23:52 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"

:shock: 90 miles!  You weren't wrong!  Have just google mapped Boston and it's over 2hrs!   That would only be feasible if we were holidaying in the area and happened to stop off on way home past yours!!   :idea:   Hmmm...they say Cromer Crab is good....(thinking, how far is Cromer to Boston?)  What is the beach at Skegness like??? :sunny:

Am very tempted at £6.00 a chook......they're double that down this way I hear..... :cry:

...off to bed as we're going to go to Woodside Animal Farm tomorrow.  I'm only interested in the Pet Shop as they have chicken supplies and hopefully CHOOOOKS!  Oh, that and the farm shop probably!   :mrgreen:

xx
Hen Houses to buy in Herts, Beds and Bucks

Started by thelittlers on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 16:50
by retribution
thumbup
hens kicking their beds out of house

Started by joules on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 28, 2010, 21:15
by TeaPots
xx
Chicken vets in Essex

Started by MY-Five-gals on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 19:26
by Aunt Sally
xx
My girls need rehoming :( essex area

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 00:16
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 39 queries.