onion sets

• 9 Replies

stephim

onion sets
« on: July 05, 2009, 11:02 »
hi everyone,

i realise this is probably a really stupid question but be patient im a complete novis.  I bought some onion sets from b&q and planted them back in april.  It said on the pack there were 12 plants i think so i broke the block into its twelve sections and planted them, all has been going well until i realised that each section now contains about 6 seperate onions in each!!! Does an onion set contain more than one onion then??  Or was this just  fluke?  also would i be able to gently seperate the onions and replant them as there is not enough room to grow them all in this patch?  I suppose ive nothing to lose really as they wont grow if i dont??   Any advise would be most welcome.

Thanks

Steph

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Re: onion sets
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:08 »
A picture would be useful , are you sure there are 6 onion bulbs forming at the base or are you seeing 6 leaves ? Onion sets I have planted look like small onions , each one is planted seperately about 9" apart .
I have never seen onion sets in a block .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

SalJ1980

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:08 »
Hiya Steph, do you mean either garlic or shallots rather than onions?

For garlic, you break the whole head into single cloves and plant those, each clove will give you another head of garlic.

For shallots, you get individual sets (as with onions) and each set splits as it grows and you get a 'clump' of shallots - up to 7 or 8 shallots in one plant.

For onions, you get one onion per set.

Hope this helps - if you've got any photos then that would help clear up your mystery!  :)
Sal

Organic...so far!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:12 »
Sounds like you have shallot's like onions but there's Shallot's :nowink: :D :blush:
Thanks
Kris

stephim

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 11:45 »
i recall that one type was meant to be hystar and cant quite remember the other type.  Six of the onion sets were red and six were white.  Ive pulled one of them out the ground and its definately six different little bulbs.  Im very confused!

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 11:50 »
Sounds like onion blocks rather than sets. As said earlier, sets are individual onion bulbs approx half inch in diameter, whereas you seem to have onions grown from seed in blocks.

stephim

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 11:57 »
ah i see. when i got then the big block was divided into twelve little ones, which i assumed would be one onion in each??  Would i be able to seperate them and replant them with a bit more space?

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 12:06 »
They should just grow and push apart as they get larger. I would not try to transplant them at this stage, but maybe you could carefully harvest thinnings to use and leave more room for expansion/growth.

cudders

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 13:14 »
Hi Steph,

They are defo Shallots as I got some from B&Q too and there were 12 of them.

Mine will be lifted next week ready for making into Pickled onions..My first time growing them and I will defo be doing more next year as I understand they are excellent cooked too!

Cudders

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 13:59 »
If they are shallots, leave them be - they do split into clumps on growing, as Sal said
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
onion sets.

Started by sprinkler1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 16:59
by sprinkler1
xx
Onion Sets

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 15:40
by DD.
xx
Onion Sets

Started by devondave on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 09:14
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 39 queries.