Bird Flu 2018

• 26 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Bird Flu 2018
« on: January 12, 2018, 20:01 »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Bird Flu 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 20:01 »
My heart sank Here we go again.....
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:46 »
My heart sank Here we go again.....

Hopefully not.  Abbotsbury is home to the swannery.  Their swans stay put, but it no doubt attracts other waterfowl that have migrated.  The virus is around in various countries, but not, as yet, anything like as bad as last year. 

It does always seem to be waterfowl that bring it in.  I am near the Thames, so my lot are staying in for a few weeks just in case.  They have covered runs and their food and water are only accessible to them.  It may cost me a few extra greens, but I'd rather play safe.

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 19:04 »
In the Metro, looks like bird flu biosecurity is back.

Bird flu: 'Prevention zone' extended nationwide after more than 40 confirmed infections - Get Surrey

Edit to title to help with searches for recent info
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:50 by New shoot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:47 »
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:57 by New shoot »

LosPollosHermanos

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 00:54 »
Sadly, I think its looking quite bad and I wouldn't be surprised if a nationwide housing order comes out within the next couple of weeks maybe even sooner. Dr Nigel Gibbens, Chief Veterinary Officer who has a big influence on these decisions is due to retire at the end of next month so I'm guessing he'll err on the side of caution as will the NFU.

There have been two more outbreaks in wild birds since the one in Dorset. One in Warwickshire and the other yesterday near Cambridge.

The first outbreak was in 15 Mute Swans but a Common Pochard and a Canada Goose also died.

The second outbreak in Warwickshire involved, a Herring Gull, 6 Great black-backed Gulls, a Great Crested Grebe and 5 Tufted Ducks. All European H5N6.

The 3rd outbreak is at Amwell Nature Reserve, Hertfordshire, which is now closed but there's no information available yet about what species / virus were involved. I expect that will come out in the next couple of days.

If we're lucky then maybe that'll be the end of it but in my heart I think its just getting going. Hope I'm wrong.

The thing that's really worrying me is that spring migration is just around the corner and its possible we might see the return of H5N8 as well. I'm no expert but it seems a little unusual that there are active outbreaks in places where the temperatures ranges are 10-30 C like South Africa and Saudi Arabia to mention a couple.

I know it really sucks to keep birds in and you can't help feeling sorry for them being cooped up, but you should see what happens in countries where controls aren't so tight. There are plenty of countries in Africa where they've had to import breeding eggs as they didn't have any left. In Iran they had had to stamp out 17 million birds over the past 10 months and South Africa killed millions in order to get it under control...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 08:19 »
I've merged the bird flu threads so we keep the information in one place.

Bio-security is back for England already  - see the links in the posts below for DEFRA and the Metro. 

LosPollosHermanos

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 23:56 »
An interesting Risk Assessment about bird flu was published yesterday. Its a long read but basically concludes that the big risk factor looks like its going to be Gulls. Down side is that they'll spread it in the wild but the upside is that good biosecurity looks like it could be enough and it doesn't look like there will need to be a housing order yet.

To be honest its the first time I've read anything from a government body in years that seemed well thought through and it was fascinating to see the thinking behind how they actually work out the risk levels.

Main positive is that it may not transfer that easily to chickens, fingers crossed.

I have to confess to being a bit obsessed about this stuff, as last year we had a massive problem with people refusing to put their birds away on our allotments. It was such a wind up for the committee, that I'm dreading a housing order.

I'm pretty new here so I hope its OK blathering on about this stuff

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/675425/rapid-risk-assessment-avian-flu-wild-birds-H5N6-180121.pdf

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 11:56 »

I'm pretty new here so I hope its OK blathering on about this stuff

Yes of course it is  :)  That is an interesting link, so thank you for posting it.  I'm going to have a good read through later.

LosPollosHermanos

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 16:27 »
"An all Wales Avian Influenza Prevention Zone is to come into place at midnight tonight.

A veterinary risk assessment for England and Wales shows that the risk level for disease in wild birds has increased from Medium to High.

The risk associated with direct and indirect transmission to poultry has also increased from Low to Medium.

The risk to poultry, however, is dependent on the level of biosecurity at individual sites."

http://www.walesfarmer.co.uk/news/local_news/15894326.Bird_flu_prevention_zone_set_up_across_Wales__Welsh_Government_announces/

LosPollosHermanos

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 11:53 »
Farming UK is reporting new wild outbreaks in the UK also in the Netherlands there was another wild outbreak again involving gulls.

"four more areas have been identified including a nature reserve in Hertford, a river in Oakham, Rutland, a country park in Wakefield, West Yorkshire and a lake in North West London."
https://www.farminguk.com/news/Gulls-risk-spreading-bird-flu-as-six-sites-test-now-positive-throughout-England_48492.html

The problem with gulls is that at least some of them are overwintering in the south and as temperatures rise they will drift north. Restrictions in Scotland seem very likely soon.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 21:08 »
A big outbreak in Windsor has killed a lot of swans.

Windsor Swans: Bird flu confirmed in Queen's flock - BBC News

We are upstream and I hope it doesn't spread this way.  There are lots of swans on the Thames in Reading and they are very popular here, as are all the other waterfowl.  They are always happy to see anyone with a bag of bread and will take it from your hand if you dare risk your fingers.

LosPollosHermanos

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 09:25 »
Another outbreak in wild birds has occurred near Bourne.

"On February 28, two wild greylag geese and two wild pheasants were found dead close to a farm near Bourne."

https://lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2018/03/warning-confirmed-bird-flu-cases-near-bourne/

There was also a recent confirmation of H5N6 in a dead buzzard found in Barry, Vale of Glamorgan.

http://www.walesfarmer.co.uk/news/local_news/16062012.Avian_flu_buzzard_found_in_Vale_of_Glamorgan/

In Ireland there have been two recent findings in Tipperary, a white tailed sea eagle and a buzzard.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/first-case-of-bird-flu-strain-confirmed-in-co-tipperary-1.3386811

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/public-advised-not-to-touch-dead-or-sick-birds-as-bird-flu-confirmed-in-common-buzzard-36688412.html

In earlier posts I've mentioned my concern that these flu virus' may have adapted to warmer temperatures and it appears that I am not alone in these concerns. H5N8 was recently found in a large poultry flock in Bergamo, Italy where temperatures are around 10C.

Avian influenza in Italy: updates

"Italy's recent run of avian flu (emerging in the summer, disappearing in the winter) runs contrary to the usual pattern, but then, HPAI H5 has been full of surprises over the past couple of years."

Avian Flu Diary: Italy: IZSV Announces H5N8 Outbreak In Bergamo province

Additionally there have been very recent outbreaks of H5N8 in Bulgaria where temperatures are 6-15C.

We may yet escape a housing order but  if there's an outbreak of H5N6 in a poultry flock,  or if we see a return of H5N8 to our shores as temperatures climb, then I think that will be the tipping point for DEFRA.

rowbow

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 10:44 »
Looks like bird auctions are going to suffer, put a cover on the runs, clean your wellies.  :( seagulls are coming more inland, herons are increasing in numbers do they carry the virus?  :ohmy:

LosPollosHermanos

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 12:40 »
....herons are increasing in numbers do they carry the virus?  :ohmy:
Herons have died in the past from H5N1 and H5N8 so its very likely that they could be susceptible to this new H5N6 virus

xx
Bird flu

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 20:45
by Selkie
xx
How to tell an old bird?

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 12:26
by IMOmimey
sad
Sad Looking Bird

Started by dad3 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2011, 18:21
by Derculees
xx
Big Bird

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 13:42
by joyfull

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 53 queries.