This years onions

• 10 Replies

jambop

This years onions
« on: October 10, 2017, 18:06 »
 A few observations on this years crop.

Golden bear... lovely onions hard and with a nice golden shiny skin look like a keeper but time will tell it is early yet.
Red amposte ... nice red onion which has a nice hard auburn skin looks like a keeper.
Zebrune ... nice long shaped onion with a golden skin looks like a keeper.
long red Florence... lovely big pear shaped onions sweet and juicy ... does not keep at all but I will grow again for consumption through out the growing season great in salads very mild.
Trebons... a brilliant onion but does not keep great in salads and can be cooked at all phases of its growth.

Growster...

Re: This years onions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:03 »
As there are only two of us here, we're used to just a couple of beds of red and white onions.

Trouble is, they - ahem - grow a bit too large, and there's a lot of waste, as we can never use a whole one! Clingfilm isn't really a good way to keep them either.

Going to plant shallots for next year, as a couple of these would do the trick...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:10 »
As there are only two of us here, we're used to just a couple of beds of red and white onions.

Trouble is, they - ahem - grow a bit too large, and there's a lot of waste, as we can never use a whole one! Clingfilm isn't really a good way to keep them either.

Going to plant shallots for next year, as a couple of these would do the trick...

I've got semi-circular plastic containers that take half onions, peppers, etc. Though if your onions are that large they may not fit in.

Chopped onions can also be frozen
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

arh

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:27 »
Cannot you pull them when they get to the optimum size for you :unsure:

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:47 »

I've got semi-circular plastic containers that take half onions, peppers, etc. Though if your onions are that large they may not fit in.

Chopped onions can also be frozen

Our freezers are absolutely stuffed, Yorkie! They're not enormous onions, but Mrs Growster eats like a bird, and I'm not far behind, so we somehow need to gear each casserole/soup accordingly, otherwise, the excess has to either go in the freezer, or in the dog, and she musn't have onions because they're bad for her...

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 11:49 »
Cannot you pull them when they get to the optimum size for you :unsure:

They're really for winter use, AR!

I spread them out on a mesh in the coal shed, and they seem to be happy there for most of the time, otherwise, we share them with the daughts!

jambop

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 14:10 »

Only two here as well. I have heard that close planning is the way to smaller onions I think I am going to try that next year see if its true. I usually give them a good six inches between the plants and get very big onions so next year I am going to cut that to four inches.

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 18:36 »
Or grow them in clumps of 3 or 4 - I always put a few in like that to get some smaller onions.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 20:53 »
Although we're going to grow just shallots next year, the spacing has - for once - got to suit my Dutch Hoe and my Swoe!

It's always the same, they get too big to chop the weeds in the rows...

Same with leeks too...

And garlic...

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 21:13 »
I grow my onions in blocks rather than rows and space them to suit the size I want. Spaced at about 12-15cm apart I can get a good crop of 200g+ bulbs suitable for a hearty winter soup whereas spacing at 8-10cm gives a more 'normal' sized onion. For picklers I space at about 4-6cm. This years crop is now resting on wire shelves, apart from some thick-necked ones I used in chutney and relish.

jambop

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 08:58 »
Although we're going to grow just shallots next year, the spacing has - for once - got to suit my Dutch Hoe and my Swoe!

It's always the same, they get too big to chop the weeds in the rows...

Same with leeks too...

And garlic...
I use this little hand hoe for my onions and other plants that need careful hoeing super little thing
DSCN1793 (800x600).jpg

xx
Last Years Onions

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 09:06
by compostqueen
xx
Last years Japanese onions

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 12:47
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Next years tom's.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2022, 17:13
by New shoot
xx
If this was 200 years ago!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 13:24
by LivvyW

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 35 queries.