Picking Sweetcorn

• 9 Replies

freefolk

• Experienced Member
Picking Sweetcorn
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:52 »
We have our first sweet corn this year - delicious!  My question is: Should they be left on the plant until needed, or can they be picked and kept stored wrapped in the leaves - or neither?  Many thanks again from us newbies for all your help so far. :D :D :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Picking Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:23 »
Pick them within a few days!  If you leave them on the plant the sugars start going starchy and you lose that home grown sweetcorn taste.

They store in the bottom of the fridge for a few days and you can also freeze them.  Some freeze the whole cob, leaves and all, others blanch the peeled cobs and freeze.  I've blanched peeled cobs and then cut the kernels away from the cob to reduce the freezer space needed.  It is still wonderful from the freezer, but eat as much fresh as you can and revel in it  :D

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 14:43 »
I love fresh sweetcorn, and last week when I was checking to see if the cobs were ripe, I couldn't resist and ate one raw, straight from the plant.  Delicious!!!

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 15:17 »
Thank you for the answers, looks like I'll be eating plenty!  Next year I think I will sow them over a few week period, as opposed to all at once this year - which was my first.  But yeah - they taste soooooooooo good!🌽​🌽​🌽​

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 16:08 »
Not a bad idea at all to sow in two batches a couple of weeks apart - plant out the second batch upwind of the first to potentially help with the pollination of any late silks in the first batch.

You do of course need to be reasonably confident about the summer lasting long enough to get away with it - more chance where you are than where I am (it only sort of worked when I tried it a few years ago.)

I had a few to freeze last year, so froze the cobs whole (without the leaves) - not as good as fresh of course but pretty acceptable even after 6 months, which is longer than recommended for unblanched produce.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 16:43 »
that's the problem with sweetcorn...its all ready at once ::)

although this year, I planted about 16 at the plot and another 16 at home in the veg patch.  the home ones don't get full sun all day and are probably a couple of weeks behind the allotment, so hopefully a bit more staggered this year.

ive just picked my first two to eat tonight...cant wait :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 18:38 »
I'd heard that sweetcorn starts turning to starch as soon as it's picked, so I've always frozen as soon as possible those cobs that aren't going to be eaten that meal.  I freeze them with their leaves & silks removed, in clingfilm, and then when I want to eat them I just get them out, plonk them in a large measuring jug of boiling water, then microwave for 5-6 mins.  Lovely  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 19:06 »
Got over 50 plants on the go, but in the Polytunnel. Too hit and miss up here in the open. Been eating them for a fortnight now

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 14:29 »
I'd heard that sweetcorn starts turning to starch as soon as it's picked, so I've always frozen as soon as possible those cobs that aren't going to be eaten that meal.  I freeze them with their leaves & silks removed, in clingfilm, and then when I want to eat them I just get them out, plonk them in a large measuring jug of boiling water, then microwave for 5-6 mins.  Lovely  :D

Now that sounds an excellent method of keeping them at their best... thank you  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 14:59 »
Thank you for the answers, looks like I'll be eating plenty!  Next year I think I will sow them over a few week period, as opposed to all at once this year - which was my first.  But yeah - they taste soooooooooo good!🌽​🌽​🌽​

You can also sow different varieties to spread maturity dates.

I find that the modern supersweeet varieties such as swift hold for a long time on the plant before they become starchy or tough.

xx
asparagus picking

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 17:07
by Babstreefern
xx
Pumpkin picking when?

Started by Babycat on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 13:23
by muntjac
xx
Picking Rhubarb

Started by Reidragon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 21:06
by Reidragon
xx
Picking asparagus

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 13:57
by savbo

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 37 queries.