What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #360 on: June 20, 2017, 22:15 »
Tipped out 11 bags of well rotted manure on to the squash bed, then 6 Barrowed loads of garden compost, followed by 5 ish bags of spent compost from the community hanging baskets. Then had a sit down when dil & granddaughter arrived with an ice cold drink for me, a treat in all ways. Then layered up the empty compost bin with fresh manure & some of the contents of the other c.bin.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:55 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aled

« Reply #361 on: June 21, 2017, 09:47 »
Watered and weeded, also added some fine sawdust to the compost bin, at the moment there is too much grass clippings in it.
Cheers
Aled

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #362 on: June 24, 2017, 17:39 »
Lots of weeding.  Cleared the Wizard beans except the few at the end of the patch I am saving for seeds.  I was worried they weren't coming to much earlier in the year, but we have had carrier bags full off them.

Planted 2 courgette, 2 Black Futsu squash, 1 sharks fin melon and 6 swede which were all grown from seed.  Also planted autumn cabbage and some more leeks, which were bought in plants.  I already had leeks, but there was space and we will happily eat more  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #363 on: June 24, 2017, 19:40 »
A busy trip to the plot today,planted 6 gherkin plants after picking 2 gherkins before I took them! Then made a frame for them to grow up. Planted out 2 lots of sweetcorn,1 is the usual for eating fresh off the cob, the other is fiesta for drying & popping in the microwave so that should be interesting if I get any,planted in two different beds. Barrowed 2 loads of compost to the fiesta sweetcorn bed first & forked that in with a good helping of chicken pellets as the other bed had the last of the manure. Sorted out the fire tin & tidied that away. Then picked the strawberries, unfortunately the plants have got very dry & most of the large crop of strawberries were small & quite hard so I took all the leaves off, then gave them a humongous watering,need to take a bit of care of them ready for the next crop. All in all about 6 hours with a stop for a cuppa with a friend who called to see me & a break for lunch that hubby kindly brought me

chillimummy

« Reply #364 on: June 26, 2017, 21:47 »
Daughter came with me tonight. She put straw under the strawberries and watered the french bean plants and the peas which are starting to peep out of the soil. Was very late sowing them.
I weeded the onions and cut the grass.
Under and next to my plum tree are loads of weeds which were getting out of hand  ;)
Plot neighbour lent me huge piece of weed fabric so we covered whole area with it and weighed it down.
Although big piece of black fabric doesn't look great, it is better than all the weeds  :unsure:
Have bed full of wild flowers and weeds which needs tackling so covered some of that with small piece of black plastic I had.
Need to strim it so can dig it all out easily.
Plot looks better already after covering a big area of weeds until I can tackle them. ;)   

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

chillimummy

« Reply #365 on: June 27, 2017, 23:32 »
Managed an hour between showers. ;)
Planted my burgess buttercup, butternut squash, pumpkins and the one courgette that germinated  ;)
Also planted some sprouts and covered with debris netting.
Bought some celeriac today as had no seeds and planted them out. Should have been eight plants but most cells had  two in so happy with that  :)
Even with a day of rain, the soil was dry underneath top layer but few more peas peeping out of the soil  :)   

Aled

« Reply #366 on: June 28, 2017, 09:43 »
A bit of weeding. Pleased to report that the shallots and French beans have had a growth spurt. I'll be eating potatoes any day.
Cheers
Aled

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #367 on: July 02, 2017, 18:15 »
Have been away for 2 weeks, so have started clearing the resulting weeds. Things have developed a lot, harvested beets, spuds, chard, French beans, broad beans, spring onions, radishes, gooseberries, raspberries, strawberries, loganberries. This is my first summer with the allotment, I am learning, eating and enjoying!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: July 02, 2017, 18:31 »
Planted out khol rabi, land cress, beetroot, fennel and spring onions.  Did lots and lots of weeding - the compost bins are brimming  :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 18:31 by New shoot »

chillimummy

« Reply #369 on: July 02, 2017, 18:36 »
Planted mixture of cabbages and two cauliflower out and covered with debris netting.
OH rotovated another two areas of soil while I dug and weeded patch ready to sow beetroot and chard.
French beans look like they have barely grown and no show from mange tout.
Few peas showing.
Back later to water everything and sow more peas, beans and mange tout and plant another courgette which was 50p in sale.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #370 on: July 02, 2017, 19:25 »
Weeding, emptied some old pots ready for replanting. Harvested pot of potatoes, picked 2 large punnets strawberries, few pea pods, bunch syboes, summer & yellow rasps starting and sampled some gooseberries. Will pick gooseberries tomorrow to make chutney.

chillimummy

« Reply #371 on: July 03, 2017, 00:17 »
Back tonight and bit more digging and weeding. Nearly finished that bed.
Sowed two rows of beetroot, one white and a row of chard.
Planted my 50p courgette and rest of celeriac plants.
Watered everything.
Weeded onions. No more pea or mange tout to sow where nothing has grown from previous sowing so gave them good watering and hope a few pop up  ;)
Will buy some more seed tomorrow.
Fennel finally germinated at home and sowed some pak choi in pots.
Back tomorrow to finish weeding and sow swede.

Aled

« Reply #372 on: July 03, 2017, 09:40 »
Good hour weeding yesterday. Garden looks better for it.
Cheers
Aled

snowdrops

« Reply #373 on: July 03, 2017, 19:58 »
Planted 12 rows of 9 leeks, 5 rows of carrots & I of peas &1 of mangetout(5ft rows) netted the leeks & carrots with enviromesh after bring it home to sow into the appropriate sized piece.

chillimummy

« Reply #374 on: July 03, 2017, 22:26 »
Sowed some more peas and netted them and hopefully get germination this time.  ;)
Planted half of my calabrese and netted. They are bit small but were getting bit leggy in pots at home.
Need to plant other half but need to trim my debris netting at home.
More digging and weeding of last big bed.Hard going  :ohmy:
Have large pile of weeds now but at least they are piled on grassy weeds so stopping that growing  ;)
Sowed row of swede, spring onions, lettuce and carrots.
Earthed up potatoes bit more.
Watered rows of seeds and peas and beans. The french beans have barely grown  :(
Feeling mostly on top of whole plot now.
Just need to strim around jungle of fruit bushes  ;)

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 51 queries.