Will early sown plants keep fruiting?

• 4 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Will early sown plants keep fruiting?
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:05 »
Hi

I have plenty of things going really well in the PT.  My question is whether plants grown early will continue to crop throughout the season or should I have a later sowing.  Eg.  I have runner beans about 5 inches high and I suspect they will crop nice and early but will they also finish producing beans early?

TIA

Adri

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Will early sown plants keep fruiting?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:23 »
Obviously growing under cover extends the growing season at both ends - by how much depends partly on your location, and partly on luck.

Although runner beans are self-fertile, unlike most of the usual flowering greenhouse crops they need bees to trip the flowers and set them, and this can be a bit problematical even outdoors, at least to begin with, so I think I'd wait to see what happens this year before experimenting further.
French beans are much better self-pollinators, and would probably be a good choice for successional sowing in the PT.

Other crops, like toms and peppers, tend to take up most of the 'greenhouse summer' anyway, but they do have some built in flexibility (if they are robust and in front of the calendar, you just let them produce more trusses/set more fruit than you otherwise would.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 18:59 »

Although runner beans are self-fertile

Is this true JayG ? I always thought most traditional runners needed pollinating, hence my decision this year to try the new self fertile hybrid moonlight, bred between runners and french.
Could I really go along the row of runners tapping the flowers like one might do with some plants in the greenhouse ? Are they as self-fertile as broad beans and chillies ? Would be nice to know, as last year my runners were plagued with the wrong sort of bee, those that don't actually enter the flower, but drill from the side.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 19:01 by beesrus »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 19:26 »
Moonlight is  a French/runner cross and is really self fertile ie does not need any insects to pollinate them, in the same way as French beans  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 19:51 »
Yes, it's a lovely bean  :)

xx
cucumber still fruiting...

Started by lazza on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 20:48
by Trillium
xx
PT - Anyone sown any......?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 14:20
by Annen
xx
Nothing sown yet!!! Is it getting late?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post March 06, 2018, 16:42
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Sown in the polly today they have two chances

Started by Sparkyrog on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 15:39
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.