Life expectancy of apple trees

• 9 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Life expectancy of apple trees
« on: September 27, 2014, 15:35 »
We had a thread a few weeks ago that basically concluded that my plum tree had exceeded its useful life at 33 years old.

My six apple trees have had a reduced crop for the past few years. They include Golden Delicious, Egremont Russet and Cox's Orange Pippin plus a couple of cookers whose varieties I can't remember at the moment. They are all on rootstock that lets them grow to about 12 feet. I planted them as 2 year-olds when we came here so they are all 35 years old.

Time to replace, or can I expect a few more years of life from them?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Life expectancy of apple trees
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 21:32 »
Have they been pruned at all recently?

Or fed?

What is their situation / location?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:41 »
Correctly pruned. Fed as per book with wood-ash and occasional well-rotted horse manure (from our own animals so no residues of antibiotics etc). In our back garden with a stand of mature beech about 20 yards to the north of them and a 5ft privet hedge about 2 yards to the east of them. Good open aspect to the south and west of them. Good loamy soil to a depth of about 2 feet

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 18:30 »
See what others think, but I wonder whether they are coming to the end of their usefulness.  I don't know whether smaller rootstocks have shorter lives, but 35 years isn't bad.

gypsy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 19:11 »
It is animal mixed with a lot of Wood chips which I presume has been used for bedding
Catherine

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 19:36 »
It is animal mixed with a lot of Wood chips which I presume has been used for bedding
No, not really. For top-dressing the fruit trees I tended to use mainly manure only. I discovered a long time ago that a dressing of a lot of wood flake bedding with manure  even killed off a clump of rhubarb. Compost that has a lot of wood chips or flakes bedding needs to rot down for quite a few years before I'll use it

beesrus

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 19:39 »
I think Gypsy's post might have been intended for another thread. Just saying like  :unsure:

4 Seasons

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 22:34 »
Before you take drastic action might I suggest that you place a beehive somewhere close so that you can tell if it is pollination that is the problem.

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 22:43 »
From what I understand the more dwarfing the rootstock the shorter the productive life of the tree. I have an old cooker which must be at least 25 feet tall and is around sixty years old but which is now about finished so it's coming down this winter. On a very dwarfing rootstock you'd not get much more than 30 years.

The good thing about old apple trees is that they burn really well once the wood has dried out. Or if you know anyone who is into wood turning/carving they would appreciate some as it is good to work. A friend of mine makes gorgeous little trinket boxes from fruit woods.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 11:59 »
Thanks all. I'm going to leave the trees in-situ to give them a chance next year before decision about taking them out. In the meantime I'm planting some new apple/plum/pear trees at the edge of wife's dog-agility training paddock. Good job we've plenty of spare land as that'll make 3 mini orchards in total!

xx
Life expectancy of rasberry plants

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 21:30
by Madame Cholet
xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
Apple tree no signs of life.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 16:35
by Lardman
xx
Apple trees

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 01:06
by 2peasinapod

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.