building a cage for my brassica's?

• 35 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
building a cage for my brassica's?
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:32 »
I am putting all my brassica's together on the plot. I think I will probably have 3 rows of summer, autumn, romanesco and cabbage. Rows 5m long.    I find netting a pain in the preverbial to take off for weeding (the shoddy way we threw it over last year) so I want to do something easier to take off and more substantial for the brassica's I know will be in the ground for a wee while.

Options either hubby building a cage type thing about 3 foot high with wooden batons (83p for 8ft baton) screwed together - uprights and cross beams with netting thrown over. Or  the same type of cage but made with build a ball things and canes.

Anyone any experience with the ball things, will those and canes do the job on our windy site?

lacewing

Re: building a cage for my brassica's?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:23 »
This is how I build my cage; firstly I cover the planting area with weed controle fabric (quite cheap from Wilkinsons) cut holes and put plants in, this  saves alot of work and I don't have to touch the netting until harvest. I use the foam toggles that are used by children as a swimming aid, they come in 1 meter lenghts, I cut these into 2" peices  and make cuts in the sides to push the canes into. Once netted up and pegged down they hold well until harvest time.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:36 »
genius!  I do like the sound of not having to weed!!  What about feeding brassica's that have weed control fabric, do they need feed, what sort do you use?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:55 »
This is mine last year.  I used bamboo canes and play balls from Tesco.  It's still in use now.

These are my new ones, still under construction.  Last years is in the background.  Version two, with the water pipe is a little easier to get the net off.

Cheese makes everything better.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 13:40 »
just a word about netting. Make sure it's taut !  Loose and badly fitting netting is death to birds so take care, please

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 16:24 »
This is mine last year.  I used bamboo canes and play balls from Tesco.  It's still in use now.

What size mesh is that Ice?  And would it be OK for my pea's too, or is the pea moth smaller?  I need to get some this weekend, and get my building head on!!

matt80

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 16:28 »

These are my new ones, still under construction.  Last years is in the background.  Version two, with the water pipe is a little easier to get the net off.

Hi Ice,

That's exactly what I'm looking to do in my garden. Could you let me know exactly what pipe you have used there, and how long it is?

Also, how is it anchored into the ground?

Thanks

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 17:01 »
"Could you let me know exactly what pipe you have used there,"

Underground mains water pipe (MDFE MDPE I think its called)

I asked a similar question the other day and folk recommended using the Black mains water pipe instead, as it has some UV resistance.

EDIT: Added pictures of mine :)

Materials you will need :)

Hoops cut to match the width of the Debris netting (less the amount of skirt to leave)

Short canes stuck in, and then pipe pushed onto them - stops them splaying outwards)

Place the debris netting over the hoops

Plant up :) and anchor down

Then feed the slave labourer :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 14:07 by Kristen »

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 17:07 »
I've got some of those ball things & they are useless. I used them with bamboo canes slotted into them & unless they are a very close fit, the slightest breeze makes them fall out. I now use them as weights attached to my greenhouse shading so that I can attach it to the outside of the roof & adjust it easily when it's dull weather. Sounds daft , but it works for me.

lacewing

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 17:21 »
genius!  I do like the sound of not having to weed!!  What about feeding brassica's that have weed control fabric, do they need feed, what sort do you use?

I give a dressing of blood, fish and bone before i plant,  then a high nitrogen liquid feed when the plants start to head up.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 17:31 »
The mesh is 10mm from homebase and I didn't have any problem with the cabbage whites last year.

The tubing is just water pipe.  Mine happens to be 20mm but that's because it was free.  I have a resistance to paying for things.  The frames are now finished and a lot more solid.  I'll post a piccie as I can't describe them. ::)

Can't say I've ever had a problem with my balls falling off  ;) :lol:

edit - in a later post Ice says she's changed to 7mm netting for her brassicas.
Butterflies can fold their wings and get inside the 10mm mesh
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 10:26 by mumofstig »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 17:47 »
I'm rather proud of myself for making these.  Guaranteed hurricane proof. :D  The hoops are about four feet high and bolted to the top batten then just pushed into the soil.  Just measured the hoops and they are three metres long.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 17:55 by Ice »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 17:54 »
Can't say I've ever had a problem with my balls falling off   

:lol: :lol: :lol: :nowink:

Great job Ice...........that's my next project and now i can see exactly how to do it
Thnx

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 18:01 »
i use that pipe and it's good, even better if free. otherwise it's a pliable length of wood that's bendable for me.

also, i've scattered slug pellets under my weed control fabric to clobber the slugs.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 19:52 »
this is one of my efforts....altho it is strong it is quite heavy and works out a little expensive wood wise.

for my next cage i will be building one very similar to ices hurricane proof jobs.
i agree that netting thrown over and weighted down is a pain to put off and on and doesnt look brilliant.i also think that those harrod build a ball things are gimmicky dodo and as ice has proved u can make a solid practical cage with a bit of patience and not much outlay

xx
Building a brassica cage

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 21:32
by TheModfather
xx
My new brassica cage

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 22:40
by Plot22
xx
What height is your brassica cage?

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 08:18
by Beejay
xx
Suggestions for what to grow in Brassica Cage

Started by Lastcast on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 22:51
by Totty

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 55 queries.