Blackcurrant wine recipes

• 9 Replies

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
Blackcurrant wine recipes
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:28 »
Hi,

Could anyone help me with some nice blackcurrant wine recipes?  I am picking heaps just now as they ripen and hoping to collect enough for a gallon of wine.  I've read other posts where people suggest blackcurrant and apple which I wouldn't mind trying but would welcome any recipes I could have a stab at.  I'm unsure of quantities of fruit to use and which additives are required for blackcurrants (pectolase/etc)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Damian
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Blackcurrant wine recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 18:58 »
I am having a go at this..http://www.lovelygreens.com/2011/07/blackcurrant-wine.html but also adding 1/2 lbs of raisins as per instruction from the brew shop.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:19 »
The recipe i followed on Thursday was this ;

3lb blackcurrants
3lb sugar
1stp pectalouse
yeast and yeast agent
1 gallon water

simple recipe and first batch so will see how it works , usual method first 5 days in a bucket with sugar syrup and yeast etc then strain through rack off etc leave to finish bubbling then rack and store till clear (oh campden tablet in second rack) then leave a few month to clear then bottle and try to leave for a few months  ::) ;) ;)
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 14:32 »
and try to leave for a few months  ::) ;) ;)

Love that last line... It's never around that long....here.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 08:21 »
I'm trying to keep my fruit wines this time as all new recipes and all say 6month in bottle or more prior to drinking ...and as for the mead 1 to 2years ! I think I will have to hide that in the loft .
But then again I will have to try a sample or two  ;)

BobE

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 00:00 »
I'm trying to keep my fruit wines this time as all new recipes and all say 6month in bottle or more prior to drinking ...and as for the mead 1 to 2years ! I think I will have to hide that in the loft .
But then again I will have to try a sample or two  ;)

Get a cellar 7 kit to fill in the gap, its lovely.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:33 »
Thanks for the recipes!  I should have enough blackcurrants this week so I'll get a batch started.  Does anyone think it would be ok to use RGJ instead of water?  I used WGJ for my rhubarb wine that's fermenting just now but I forgot to reduce the amount of sugar so it's gonna be really strong if the yeast doesn't die before fermentation's complete.

Yeah it's easier said than done storing bottles to mature.  I'll maybe start a turbo cider or beer brew at the same time to keep me from sampling the wines.

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47 »
Never thought about using grape juice for the base of a fruit wine like rhubarb before, and I've got 50 lts on the go at the mo....like you said if you worked out the sugar....or go on your SG with an hydrometer I guess it would be a good one.

As for your yeast which one did you use??

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 13:08 »
Well, I kinda made a mess of the yeast to be honest.  First added some old youngs white wine yeast but it didn't start so I fired in some youngs champange as that's all I had.  That got the brew going but it died while I racked it the other night so I added some new Ritchies Wine yeast.  It's bubbling again now but not sure if it'll manage to convert all the sugar as the brew started about SG 1.125 (17% potential alcohol) and was down to 1.075 (10%) after a week of fermenting so might end up with a sweeter than I'd like rhubarb wine if the yeast can't cope.  I've never tried that high a strength before but I guess I could just water it down if it finishes too sweet and restart the fermentation?

Can you recommend any good yeasts for country wines?  Just normal strenght ones as I'll avoid making the same mistake of adding too much sugar again.

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 21:13 »
Daamoot...take a look Here

I get most of my stuff from them...I tend to stick with Gervin  yeast, they seem to work for me.
You had a bit of a game with your yeast with this one...just hope it turns out good for you... 8)
A restart may work if you get the right yeast. ..let us know if you do and how it turns out.

xx
blackcurrant wine??

Started by coco on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 09:31
by mike1987
xx
please convince me about blackcurrant wine

Started by Aidy on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 14:30
by Capt Zero
xx
elderberry wine recipes?

Started by poppie on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 20:45
by Jay Dubya
xx
Blackcurrent and redcurrent wine recipes please

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 20:42
by grinling

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.