Lettuce in the greenhouse in winter!

• 55 Replies

Headgardener22

Re: Lettuce in the greenhouse in winter!
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2012, 08:07 »
I just keep putting all the varieties in and picking them as leaves.

Another thing I do is to buy the packs of "fresh lettuce plants" from the supermarket and plant them. The plants are usually 4-5 inches tall and have a good head start if you plant them in February.

compostqueen

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57 »
My Misticanza salad, endive and chicory mix from SOI is still going great guns as is my Mesclun and another oriental mixture I sowed. I've been picking the stir fry leaves alternately and the regrowth has been brill  :)

The SOI leaf mix is extremely hardy and is happy even if the temperature plummets. I grow mine is full size seed trays or a deep tin or box, in the unheated greenhouse. I like to grow them under cover as it keeps the leaves clean so they don't need washing before use  :)  They are more than happy outdoors but I'd keep covered with fleece etc to keep them clean. You don't want soily, sandy leaves

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2012, 10:26 »
My American Land Cress and Winter Gem lettuce both germinated but barely grew at all over the winter - my greenhouse doesn't get much light when the sun is at its lowest and I possibly didn't help by growing them on the staging which is on the darkest side (thought it would be less cold away from the floor but probably should have put them in the lightest possible place.)

Oh well, a small step up the learning curve...................... :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 10:31 »
I'm still eating the same mixed salad from SoI as C Q  ;)
All the corn salad is gone now and I pulled the rocket up a couple of days ago as it was finally running to seed, the chard was eaten more by slugs than by me - so won't bother with that again  :(

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2012, 14:15 »
Just read through this thread from the beginning, and it's great - I never knew you could continue producing salad leaves in an unheated greenhouse!  We eat a lot of salad throughout the winter as an alternative to veg with main courses, etc.  We therefore get through bags and bags of mixed leaves (even when 'diluted' with iceberg!) so I'll definitely be trying this.

The article 'Mind the Gap' by Joy Larkcomb mentioned by Compost Queen is available to look at on Amazon - if you search for her book 'Grow your own Vegetables' and then click 'look inside', you can use the 'search inside this book' box on the left hand side.  Type in the words 'mind the gap', and it will bring up the pages concerned.  You can then scroll down and read the article in full.

I love growing the various mixes in the summer - they're brilliant for planting in a trough or tub and taking with us when we're on the narrowboat.  They just sit on the roof, and solve one of the problems of not having access to shops or supermarkets!  I'll now be able to do the same at home in the winter  :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 14:19 by cheshirecheese »

compostqueen

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2012, 14:22 »
Don 't forget you can do the oriental mixed leaves too and they are FAB  :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 13:49 »
Yes, I use those in salads too - I was using 'salad leaves' as a sort of generic term really to cover a multitude!  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 23:33 »
I was in there grazing on them today, tasting the individual leaves to see what they're like. I think I'll take a slice of bread down there with me tomorrow  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2012, 16:12 »
My neighbours on their plot have had great success - they're lettuces/leaves are a foot tall and they haven't bolted - they look really yummy!

Emma

Robster

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2012, 11:51 »
I have grown a fantastic crop of chard in my unheated greenhouse over this winter. After the toms were out in the autumn I planted out the chard. I think I had sowed it around mid summer and grown it on. I have had three decent cuts off it already this year.  Just starting to bolt now. Which is fine because it's time to dig out and replace some soil and get the toms back in.

Incidentally it was lucullus I found bright lights all show but tough and stringy outside

compostqueen

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 20:05 »
Right thanks for that tip.  I didn't rate the Bright Lights much flavour wise either, although it does cut a dash out on the plot  :) :)

xx
Winter greenhouse

Started by Margaret on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2006, 09:14
by John
xx
Greenhouse growing in winter

Started by Amilo on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 15:54
by arugula
xx
what do you grow in your greenhouse in winter?

Started by helluvatractor on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

19 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 21:33
by VirginVegGrower
grin
Winter greenhouse spuds.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 07:24
by bayleaf

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 40 queries.